Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

Breakfast Burritos...one of my favorite things my dad makes

My dad came up with a breakfast burrito recipe that he would make on Saturday mornings. They are one of the best things you could put in your mouth. My brother-in-law says that I always end up making them when he's hungover and that sometimes when he is hungover he craves them...maybe it's a new hangover cure! :) Anyway, I make them a little differently than my dad does. They're still really good, but it's like one of the recipes that you can't quite get it right unless the person who created it is cooking it. You know what I mean? It's the same way with my mom's fried chicken. She makes the best fried chicken and no matter what I do, I can't make it like she does. That's okay though because it makes me appreciate it more when she makes it...the fact that I can't get it all the time because I can't make it like that, makes me savor each and every bite! :) Sorry, I got off on a tangent, but if you've tasted my mom's fried chicken...well, you'd understand. :) Anyway, on to the burritos. Matt calls this recipe one of my Classics, which he says are the really good ones that I make fairly often.

When I make this for Matt and I, I just use half of the sausage and we still have leftovers. So, this recipe will be for 2-4 people. If you need to feed more than that, use the whole package of sausage and then adjust the spices, hash browns and eggs accordingly. A good rule of thumb for the eggs would be 1 egg per person and 2 for the pot. :)

-Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage in the tube package (cut the tube in half and place the unused portion in the freezer to have on hand for next time!)
-3 big handfuls of shredded or cubed frozen hash browns
-4 to 6 eggs, scrambled (if you like more eggs than sausage, use 6 eggs. If you like more sausage, use 4 or 5 eggs.)
-1 small can of green chilies (I use mild, but use whatever heat level you like)
-a handful of cilantro, chopped
-about 1 TBS of chili powder (I usually don't measure spices, just eyeball it.)
-about 1 TBS of coriander
-about 1/2 TBS onion powder (you can also use some chopped chives or scallions if you'd like more of an onion-y taste. If you use the chopped scallions/chives, then add them in after the potatoes.)

Optional add-ins for the burritos:
-shredded cheese (cheddar, mexican cheese blend, whatever you have on hand)
-salsa
-sour cream

In an electric skillet or large skillet, over medium heat, start breaking up and browning the meat. Once the meat is browned on one side, flip it over and scoot it over to the outsides of the pan. Place the hash browns in the hole you just created and place a lid over the skillet. Let the hash browns crisp up for a few minutes. Then you can add your onions if you are using them and a pinch of salt to the potatoes. Stir to combine the potatoes and sausage. Add your spices, stirring to distribute them evenly. Let that cook for a minute, then you can add the cilantro and green chilies and stir again. Once again, make a hole in the middle of the pan and pour in the scrambled eggs. Stirring gently, begin combining the sausage and potato mixture into the scrambled eggs. Stirring occasionally, cook the mixture until the eggs reach your level of done-ness. Some people like their eggs more wet, others like them more dry, so I will leave that decision up to you! :) Serve with warmed flour tortillas, cheese and salsa.

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures this time, but I'm sure you all know what eggs and sausage and potatoes mixed together look like! Ha, ha! :) I will try to get a picture up here in the near future. Enjoy! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment