Search This Blog

Sunday, September 5, 2010

My childhood in a bowl


Lately, I've been craving something my dad made for me when I was little. It's a simple thing, but it's one of those things that warms me up physically and emotionally. I'm not sure where he came up with it...knowing him, he probably made it up right there in front of me as I was sitting at the kitchen table. :) But even as I ate it this morning, I could close my eyes and be right back in my house in Kansas, sitting at the kitchen table, happily slurping this up. All he did was take leftover white rice, a spoonful of brown sugar and some milk and warmed it up in the microwave. Sounds simple, but it's wonderful! Since I didn't have any leftover rice, I just made some fresh this morning. Then I just stirred in the brown sugar and milk and a little cinnamon. Sliced banana would be good in it too, but I didn't think about that at the time. I have my own recipes that I love cooking, but my all-time favorite recipes are from my childhood...recipes that my mom and dad made, that can take me back to when I was a kid with just one bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment