Search This Blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Not your typical tuna sandwich


I can't really remember how I came up with this recipe. I've been making it for years! I was just trying to think of another way to have a tuna fish sandwich. The whole tuna-egg-mayo-celery kind of sandwich got really old for me. And it wasn't so much the boring flavors of it, but the texture...most of the time, it turned into this paste-y sort of consistency. I don't know if it was from the mayo or what, but this sandwich needed a make-over! :) The best part is that most of the time I have all of the ingredients on hand, which works really well for me because let's face it...no matter what, there are always days where there seems to be NOTHING in the fridge to eat, right? ;) So, here's what I did...

-1 packet of tuna in water (you can use canned tuna of course, but I find that the tuna in packets are more moist)
-1 can of artichoke hearts in water, drained and roughly chopped
-1 big handful of fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
-a small handful of parsley, chopped
-a rounded tablespoon of capers
-a heavy sprinkle of celery seed
-1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
-1/4 cup of lemon juice
-zest of the lemon
-salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl, add the olive oil, lemon juice, zest, celery seed and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk until combined about 2-3 minutes. In a large bowl, combine tuna, spinach, artichokes, capers, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Pour the dressing over the tuna mixture and stir to combine. Place on bread of your choice. Or for tuna melts, (which is what I did) toast the bread, spoon tuna mixture on one piece of bread, place swiss or provolone cheese on top and place under the broiler until cheese melts. Top with the other piece of bread. Don't have bread? Boil up some pasta, drain and toss pasta with the tuna mixture, sprinkle with some parmesan cheese. Viola! Three different dishes with one recipe! :)

I hope you enjoy this quick and easy recipe! It's definitely one I make a lot! Let me know what you think of it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment